Wednesday 16 September 2015

The best laid plans ........

I confess - I like to write lists.  There, it's out there, I am a list maker.  A day just doesn't feel right if I haven't written a list, including an easy task that can quickly be crossed off, and then crossed at least half of them off.  Now that I am home more I find myself listening to the weather forecast more.  I don't necessarily not do something according to the weather but I might do things in a different order.  Last night the forecast was so bad for this afternoon that they gave the weekend's forecast first so that we would see the light at the end of this tunnel.  Anticipating horrendous rain, storms and gale force winds I decided to pop into Louth this morning and buy the much wanted fireguard.  Arriving home I filled the garden refuse bin - ready for the collection tomorrow - filled the coal bunker, bought some kindling and walked the dogs.  By noon I was ready for the tempest and looked upwards - to see bright blue skies and sunshine - oops!  Ah well!


After some light housework and lunch (and a rest to look at this scrummy book which had just arrived!) I started on the first craft project of the day.  Last night we spent two hours sorting and cutting jelly roll strips ready for our lone star quilt.  Today I wanted to sew them together in the particular order that the pattern decrees before I forgot the instructions(there were only 12 sets of 3 strips!).  Last night we were also shown these coasters that Sandra bought at Harrogate in August.  My personal challenge this week is to find out how these coasters are made and come up with some form of pattern!






Next on the agenda was the GP bag.  The next step was to attach the different outer fabrics and quilt the two panels.  It can be difficult to see progress but the quilting is essential to give structure to the project.






Finally, and this will be this evening's project, I have started to sew this small candle mat from Gail Pan's Simply Christmas book.  The Tuesday evening class has a Christmas party where you take a present (not necessarily sewn) and they are given out at random and then swapped several times - its far too complex to go into here but suffice it to say that you pick more because of the wrapping than the content.  I feel strongly that a quilting group should have a quilted project and loved this cute candle mat when I saw it in the flesh at Gail's workshop.




2 comments:

  1. So many lovely things going on in your house right now!
    I think we had a bit of your rain, although so far not as bad as forecast. Good to be ahead of the game though!
    As for lists...you should meet my MIL, she is the queen of lists :) I knew on old lady who used to have petit mal, so she wouldn't wake from an episode and not know what she was or should be doing she made a list every day and ticked off as each item was completed...it went something like this
    Get up
    Make Bed
    Have breakfast
    Clean teeth
    ....I hope yours is not that extensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have lots of projects on the go Lynda! Love your candle mat and the Anni Downs book looks like it could be a temptation!! Pouring with rain here this afternoon!! Christine x

    ReplyDelete