Monday 4 January 2016

Jelly Roll Race Bath Mat

Don't we all feel better when we can see the sun?  It came out for a few minutes here today and my spirit lifted.

My day started with a trip to the dentist - where he confirmed that I had lost the side of my tooth.  I am thankful that there is no pain but he managed to seal the filling and then explained the different alternatives.  I could leave it like that but the rest of the tooth, in his opinion, would crumble away in 6 months.  The medication that I am taking does not help any healing process so a lost tooth would almost inevitably leave me with a hole in my gum - not nice!  I would then need a bridge which would involve removing the crown on one side and altering the perfectly healthy canine tooth on the other - again not nice!  The upshot is that I have elected for a crown - the ouch, as Happymum said, comes in the price - £475!  Between Daisy and my tooth I am a study for how to spend money quickly!

Avoiding the shops I came home to continue my decluttering and sorting adventures.  I am missing my sewing, almost like an addict, so I gave myself a target of three bags, a suitcase, filling the suitcase with the discarded fabric that I mentioned previously, making the bed upstairs and putting the washing on.  Then, and only then could I sit down at the machine!!  The rouble was that, by this time, I just needed a sit down and some lunch!

After lunch I made a start on the patchwork bath mat.  I cut the blue fabric into Jelly Roll size strips and did a "Jelly Roll Race" top - you sew the ends of the strips together then join bring the two ends of the long strip together, sew the side and then cut at the halfway point etc etc.  The initial joining takes the time but after that it grows really quickly although you need to be happy with a random pattern - you just cannot avoid some neighbouring colours being repeated.  The plan is to use an old towel as the wadding and then backing - the mat will then just need to be quilted to keep the layers together - sorted!  There should also be enough fabric strips to make a pedestal mat to match.

Nosey Goose Felt Kit

So - Sewingbuddy - I am sticking to the "no fabric buying" pledge.  However I must admit that I was very grateful to my mum who bought me another House of Zandra felt kit for christmas.  It is arriving by post but I chose the duck as I think that it will look lovely in the new bedroom.









14 comments:

  1. You are giving me the urge to do some decluttering now! When the kids are back I can see that being my number one goal! Mat looking good and cutie goose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that you might like the goose!

      Delete
  2. Ouch on the tooth issue!! Both for the treatment and price. Very unfortunate. Well done on the decluttering front keep going. I must be feeling better because even though I am still in pain and can't move about very much I am getting very irritated at not being able to do things. The recycling centre won't know what's hit them when I am better!!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ought to get Dad to bring a drawer / box to you and then sort from your chair.

      Delete
  3. What's this about a recycling centre? I would avoid buying anything at the moment the way you are going through money this month - and if you think buying a puppy is expensive wait until you get it and the bills start pouring in - penny is already on her fourth bed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea making a bath mat in this way is. I am looking forward to seeing the finished result! Daisy looks so adorable.... I can see why you couldn't resist! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine - she is quite a cutie. X

      Delete
  5. Poor you having to pay all that for a crown, think of the fabric you could have bought with £475!
    Another thing I am worried about, how do I know you haven't give your mum the money to buy the duck?
    And I have to confess, I have broken our pledge and just ordered some moda fabric from face book, - sorry but it is a bargain, and won't be repeated , so don't think it counts .lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel let down and disappointed. I turned down a visit to my favourite fabric shop in Tavistock before Christmas for fear of being tempted by fabric - and then you go and stab me in the back like this! As to the duck please feel free to check with my mother - this girl doesn't lie when it comes to something as serious as fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it makes you feel better, you can buy some fabric' to make us even
    or we can share what I bought?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stop trying to salve your conscience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually just had a thought, it doesn't count because I am using money given to me for Xmas, which was for me to buy something with for myself.
    So it's as if it has been bought for me , like your duck?
    I Just organised the purchase but never paid for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now - what would you say to me if I came up with that explanation?

      Delete