Saturday 3 December 2016

"76 trombones led the big parade"

Last night I was tired, went to bed at a reasonable time, watched Graham Norton in bed, laid my head down to sleep ............................. and then was wide awake!  No matter what I tried I just couldn't fall asleep.  No reason - but I will admit to a crafty idea creeping into my brain and whirling around - so much so that I just got up and made a start.  At the time it made sense since I wasn't achieving anything by tossing and turning but I have paid for the lack of sleep all day - I only dropped off around 5:30am!!!  Not only that but, given that the idea is forming nicely and will provide an additional Christmas present or two, I can't even show you the cause of the insomnia!

So today has been a bit of write off - a dog walk, using the new hoover to go round the house, some washing and some crafting - all sandwich between several sessions of 40 winks!  Let's hope that I drop off quickly tonight - but I do think that there could be a link between technology and sleep just as Gary Barlow recently talked about.  I love my ipad, and read books on the kindle app, but have wondered whether the "blue" light is affecting sleeping patterns.

Today's advent present from Wendy was this lovely set of pegs - do you think she's trying to organise me - bless!

And the title of the blog?  This song is from the musical "The Music Man", and it has often been played unexpectedly on the radio - most notably when I had accepted a job over in Lincolnshire, was driving back to Lancashire wondering what on earth I had done, and being reassured  when this rousing tune came on the radio.  This morning the same thing happened just as I stepped out of the shower.  Although I am not facing some sort of large problem, I couldn't help wondering why then?  Why wasn't the song played whilst I was in the shower and couldn't hear it?  Whatever the answer I really enjoyed hearing it again.

4 comments:

  1. Insomnia is a pain...but at least you are now in the position of being able to go with the flow, so to speak. I have given up trying to sleep in the past and got up to do something more profitable than just lying there! I must admit, I find it really easy to drop off with the TV on and do so most nights these days, if it weren't for the worry of disturbing Hubby I would have turned it on when I was having trouble sleeping as I am sure I would have dropped right off again. As for the song..well...we await further developments in due course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - sometimes I turn the radio on the bedroom really low so that it doesn't distract

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I watch a tv show sitting on the couch (especially if it's a show I like and the voices of the actors are familiar to me) I can almost be certain to go to sleep. I usually "watch" while doing other things
    Lucky for me I seldom have trouble either going to sleep or staying asleep. My husband goes to sleep early and then wakes too early and spends the wee morning hours checking for the newspaper and getting up and going back to bed. It is the usual routine so while I am somewhat aware I feel as though I sleep through him up and downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually am like you Colleen and could seep through anything! Hopefully I will get back into my routine soon. I don't think that an afternoon nap helps.

      Delete