Wednesday 15 July 2015

Batman, Spiderman and now Antman - what next - cockroach man?

So - another late rise - I woke up at 8:30am!  Mind you I think it's because I have settled into a different pattern.  I sued to go to bed at 10pm and might read for a while but, slightly freakily, the alarm clock used to frequently say 22:22 when I turned the lights off.  Now I go to bed around 10:30 and then read - often nearly until half eleven or later.  So I am still getting my 8 hours of sleep.  With all the decorating I am also doing more physical work.  Don't get me wrong I used to be exhausted after teaching but its more of a mental strain than physical. 

So - onto today.  As promised yesterday the first step was to make a start on the fabric baskets - first one completed by 10:30.  Next on the agenda was to finish painting the walls and ceiling of the utility room.  Since standing on a chair to paint means that my hair is almost touching the ceiling it was  a tad awkward but a job well done.   Next job was to order a decorating surprise which I will keep under my hat.  I am hoping that it will come tomorrow or Friday so you don't have to wait too long!

Then it was back to the machine and the second fabric basket.  As part of the process you have to cut off 4" corners and therefore each basket results in spare corners from which you could make these?  Can anyone think of a use for them?  They look like gnome hats to me!  In the second picture I am wondering whether there shouldn't be some form of hanging basket - not sure what you would put in them though. 

Some of you keen observers will have noticed a mismatch of fabric.  That's because I am using up a book of curtain samples.  The book cost me £5 so I will be able to make a host of baskets with just the additional costs of wadding and cotton - plus time of course.  When the baskets are facing the front (handle forward) you don't notice the mismatch.  These baskets are quite small but can be made in any size so my next pair will use the whole sheet from the book and we will see how tall that makes the basket.


After lunch (yes it was slimming world friendly DESPITE my scales not moving an ounce ALL WEEK!! (Do you feel my pain?) ) I spent a little time organising what I was taking to the Stitch and Sew tonight before nipping out with the dogs.  Last night I made my Christmas list - family and friends take note - my stash is going to be busted this year - everything is homemade!! (Well - unless I run out of time of course!!)  I also phoned Patchwork Chicks to deal with the cancellation of the workshops I talked about yesterday.  They have kindly agreed to hold onto our money until we go in September - guilt free spending day me thinks!!

The final job was to give this step a good clean.  I think, in its former life, it would have been an outside step and therefore ingrained with dirt.  However it is now inside the utility room and I am planning to buy a couple of tester pots tomorrow to paint it a dark brown and make it a little more presentable!

7 comments:

  1. Wow what a productive day! Those little "hats" are so cute, they MUST be something that we can come up with....give us some time!
    DONT paint that step!! Sand it down and enjoy the natural beauty of the wood, once done it will be so much easier to upkeep as well. We are in the throws ( have been since last year...we are slow workers!) of sanding off all the black paint on our door thresholds.....painted by the previous owners and so worn they look a real state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will see how I feel tomorrow - its only a little step but .......................

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the little 'hats' are cute as well, they could be used as some sort of bunting, you've got so many places you could is it in.
    Didn't quite understand your title! ( probably me )! Where do the ants fit in? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/
    Yes its you :)
    Its a new film out x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear!! I often feel out of the loop, so it's not surprising I didn't understand.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could the corners be used as some sort of egg carrier - good you haven't put any weight on after your "issues" last week. I didn't get the film reference either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truthfully I always find it difficult to think of a title for the blog and am often influenced by what's on the radio at the time. This afternoon Michael Douglas was on talking about a new film - Antman - hence the title.

    ReplyDelete