Tuesday 7 July 2015

Seaside memories

Today, being Tuesday, saw Jean and I up at the cinema for our senior screen viewing - complete with free coffee and biscuits.  Today we saw a film called Child 44 - not my usual type of film but very good.  I like it when a film surprises you and, although I couldn't watch the violent parts, I really admired the acting - particularly by Tom Hardy.  Of course, once the film had finished , it was time for lunch.  You may recall that we are planning to try a number of different venues but this week is the "no meat" week.  So what do you do when you are at the seaside and can't eat meat - you go to a chippy of course!  Now, to be fair, this chippy did serve jacket potatoes but I wanted my fish - so chose fish and mushy peas - no chips.  But get this - I then stripped the fish of its batter and threw it away - how good am I?  Mind you I undid the good by enjoying a 99 for afters - well its ages since I've had a mr whippy!!  We managed to find a seat on the front to eat but before the ice creams were finished, the heavens opened - and that's been the weather of the afternoon - rain, followed by sunshine, followed by rain again.














I arrived home to find a £10 voucher to buy something from the M & S home range - since I am going to M & S soon I will find this useful - I try to get something for £10 so that it ends up free - its a game!!  I also picked up a schedule for our village Horticultural show this year.  Maybe I will try my hand at some baking this year!

Then it was time to start getting tea ready.  One of the challenges that Happymum set me was to cook a dish from each of my cookbooks over the year.  Last nights was from 50 original green recipes and today's winter barley and vegetable casserole is from the Slimming World All in one book.  I am keeping track by putting a little red dot on the spine when I have used the book.  The casserole takes 30 minutes to prepare and 90 minutes to cook - so I ought to get started soon!  The third book is the one that I am using on Saturday to make a smoked haddock and poached egg risotto.

Lastly I am going to try to finish the summer top this evening so am planning to watch tv via the computer in the sewing room.  I hope that it works - my internet has been really slow since the electricity box blew up on sunday.






2 comments:

  1. Not heard of the film that you saw, not that I really know much about films! Do you know before you go what film is, or is It a surprise?
    I really can't believe you didn't eat the batter on your fish, I really do admire you, I think the batter is the best part of fish and chips!! Well done.
    I can't say that I would fancy smoked haddock and egg risotto, all three components or maybe two of them together but certainly not three of them!! Good job we are all different!!
    We had to go and see someone from our Church whose husband died last night. Those sort of visits are never easy, especially when we got there and there are several members of the family all sitting around and just looking at us for words of wisdom. We did our best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You threw away the batter??You really are a woman on a mission...well done!
    Really like the sound of the smoked haddock risotto :)
    Don't remember hearing about the leccy box exploding!! Ooo err!
    Sorry to hear about ME's news...not an easy situation at all, am sure you were a great comfort to them.

    ReplyDelete