Thursday 30 July 2015

"All that glisters is not gold"


When I woke up this morning I thought that I knew exactly how today's blog would go.  I would talk about how today has been a chore day - a lazy start (I had another headache :( ), a trip to Tesco for some shopping then onto Grimsby Hospital to pick up a prescription (I also had a cup of coffee which I inadvertently tipped all over the car park - gee I've got style!) etc. 

Instead I want to focus on a short ten minute conversation that I had with an ex student at the "Hand wash - Car wash".  It's my birthday next week so I am planning to buy a new car - I thought that the current one could do with a spruce up.  I was minding my own business in the "reception" when a young, vibrant lady breezed in - on her phone talking about having been to the gym.  Truthfully I didn't look at her properly but you would certainly get the impression that she had it all - pretty, slim body, vibrancy etc.  Once we recognised each other and started to talk, she spoke about how she was 26 and had started her dream career in mental health when she was attacked one night.  Her injuries have left her with a crumbling spine and annual operations in London - the last one resulting in a hospital stay for 9 weeks.  Her prognosis is not good and the consultant has told her that unless there is a breakthrough and a doctor learns how to transplant a spine she will be in a wheelchair by the age of 30.  Wow!  I was floored and really didn't know what to say.  I then asked about a desk job and she says that she has tried but the pain of sitting over a desk results in being in a foetal position for up to 9 hours and no employer would have her with such a poor attendance record.  As I drove away I was reminded how quickly we can judge others without really knowing the whole story.  One of the saddest things she said was that some staff would say that she deserved this (she wasn't the best behaved student at school) - clearly I was quick to dispel that thought - no one deserves that!!

So that's my day - apart from some hand sewing ad long afternoon nap in front of a chick flick this afternoon.  A day of jobs and chores for sure but also one of counting blessings!





By the way - when I was in Tesco's I picked up these two beauties!










And finally a cheerful gift for my brother!



3 comments:

  1. Oh what a mixture of a day!! How sad for that poor girl, as you say nobody deserves that. It was good you could have a chat with her though.
    Love the new phones, now perhaps you can hear them when they ring.
    I thought the little girl looks just like you. Minnion Niño!!!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete