Saturday 11 July 2015

A lazy day - starting with a lie in

So - yesterday I met up with my good fiends, Trisha and Julia - and came face to face with the power of this blog.  Originally we had arranged to meet up (which we do every couple of months or so) have a quick tea and then settle down to watch a film.  However there was nothing on that grabbed our attention so we agreed to meet up, have tea and a catch up.  That had given me a "no meat " headache and I started to research the different restaurants and realised that the choice for vegetarians is limited -  particularly if, like me, you don't like tomatoes.  I had even contemplated having a carbonara and picking out the bacon - but that would still have felt like I was cheating.  However - panic not - as Trisha walked up and we started to discuss where to eat she said - well of course you're not eating meat this week are you?  I had totally forgotten that I had given her the blog address and, apparently, she has been following the blog!! (NO photos I am afraid - my battery on the phone died!!). 

Dinner was, as described yesterday, jacket potato, beans and cheese.  But even then there was a grumpy old woman moment.  "Would I like a meal deal - the same jacket with diet pepsi and two slices of garlic bread for £5.49?"  " No thank you can I just have the jacket etc and the diet pepsi please" "Yes, of course, that will be £5.99 please" "Why - can't I have the meal deal for £5.49 but just not have the garlic bread?" "No, sorry, you have to have the garlic bread" " Okay then - may I have the meal deal then - my fiends will eat the bread or I will throw it
away"  So - I pay my money, am given the tray with the jkt potato plus filling and then question where the garlic bread is.  "Oh I need to cook that first" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I give up!


Before we met I had a chance to do some shopping for our holiday and bought a long dress.  Its only a simple cotton one but, with a shrug / pashmina, will do nicely - we are going to the outdoor opera - Aida - so it will be nice to wear a frock for a change.  I must wear more open tops in the garden, however, if I am to look less "white".  I also managed to nip into M & S café and get my much wanted spiced ice bun.  Unfortunately they seemed to overfill the coffee - it took three napkins to mop up the spill on the saucer!!





So - onto today.  I woke up at, ahem, 9:15am!  Must have needed it as they say.  So first on the agenda was a leisurely breakfast whilst catching up with some soaps.  Then it was onto cleaning the freezer.  Moving the freezer away from the side wall revealed a mess - Denise had said not to bother cleaning it but I couldn't let it go like this!  I am dreading the mess that will be left when the freezer goes though!
With freezer




Without!
guess what i'm doing tomorrow!!

Looking at the weather it was becoming a little overcast so I thought it would be prudent to mow the back lawn next and get that job out of the way.  After lunch it was onto some sewing - Trisha says that I sew too much - sorry Trisha!!  It was time to start the July block from the UK quilting bee and I can listen to the week's episodes of The Archers whilst I do it.

Dinner was smoked haddock risotto with a topping of poached egg - not only is the recipe from the third recipe book but the meal marks the end of the penultimate non-meat day - thank goodness.  Its not that I am a huge meat eater but knowing that you can't eat it makes it feel worse somehow. Dessert was raspberries n yoghurt - these raspberries are coming thick and fast now!





1 comment:

  1. You are certainly catching up on your sleep! Grr to the silly meal deal rule, that sort of thing makes me really cross!
    Piccie of the dress...on hanger if you are shy.
    Best of British with your clean up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete