Tuesday 12 September 2017

I didn't know that a carer did all of this!!

It's becoming a family joke that I am now Mum and Dad's carer (not that they need one yet - thankfully!) and, as I go through my day today - you decide!!

Mum and Dad had planned to have their car serviced this morning and I was asked to pick them up, go out for a nice coffee and then take them home - helping them with a couple of things whilst they waited and then run them back to collect the car.  Of course, things never plan out as well as this - starting with a wood delivery that was expected this afternoon.  One text message last night and delivery would be between 9am and 2pm!! Slightly different.  So, instead, I picked them up and we went straight home for our coffee.  Whilst we waited for the wood, I made a start on their passport applications (Mum is going to fly for the first time ever next August at the young age of 78!!).




Whilst I was form filling, they mentioned that the heating hadn't worked in the lounge last night - it has been getting chilly in the evening and they are waiting for quotes to install their log burner.  I showed them how to set the timer for heating and water (it's the same system as I have) and then Dad and I investigated why some radiators worked and others didn't (none of them had thermostatic valves on them).  It turned out that some valves turned and that was all that was needed -problem solved and, let's hope, the heating comes on as planned this evening!



Next up was arranging for a couple of firms to quote for their en-suite.  I think that I mentioned sometime ago that they have an en-suite - with just a shower and a sink in it!!!!  No toilet!!!!!  Hopefully the three phone calls that I made will help secure a quote and a re-furb!

With the wood arriving, it was then all hands on deck to paint the back of some fence panels before we tried to put a fence up.  I should add that, until the fence is secured, my dogs can't go and visit / stay so it is in my interest to see this job sorted.  With three panels painted and drying, Dad and I then attempted to fix a panel in place whilst concreting the side post in.  Let's just say that I am glad no cameras were trained on us but that we have learnt a lot!  With Dad left holding the post as the concrete set, it was then back to the garage with Mum to collect the car before leaving her to come home for tea and to get sorted for tonight's return to the sewing class.

So - I ask you - is this what a carer really does?  I wouldn't mind - but it's return of the "carer" tomorrow - there are more concrete posts and fence panels to deal with yet!

2 comments:

  1. It will all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What make choice a really quality bamboo privacy fencing panel rolls, high-quality Rolled bamboo fence(3-5 galvanized-wire 6ftx8ft), Quality rolled bamboo fences panel, Quality rolled bamboo cane fence. What make choice a really quality bamboo privacy fencing panel rolls, quality Rolled bamboo fence, Quality rolled bamboo fences panel pvc privacy fence

    ReplyDelete