Monday 23 November 2015

Have I swapped Lincolnshire for Alaska?

Today has been one of those days when I just couldn't get warm!  It started this morning whilst I was sewing the third star (yes - I have made my minimum target and am now on my fourth!) but I put that down to sitting in one place for an extended period of time. 

Then it was time for the craft group - Michelle had put the heating on but the room never really felt warm.  In fact loading up the car, it felt warmer outside!  But then I walked the dogs - and got brain freeze for my troubles.  Wowzer!!!!  I am now lighting the fire and staying put!!


Michelle has mastered the binding
So - back to the craft group.  Maybe its the teacher in me but I get a real thrill seeing people develop their love for sewing and it was a real joy to watch Michelle - rather like Bambi - taking her first steps with her new sewing machine.  Georgina has treated herself to one as well but didn't bring it this week.  I am not sure what their husbands think but its lovely to see people developing their skills.  Even my mother has been moved to sew today!!

Other than the usual Monday chores, and sewing of stars, there hasn't been much to report.  Oh - apart from a family tree revelation.  Now it's not much, and we are certainly not talking about finding some sort of criminal ancestor, but I was having a problem tracing the marriage certificate for an Uncle Harry and Aunty Cissy - so I sent for his death certificate, hoping that his wife's name would be a nickname and written in full on the certificate.  No wonder that I had a problem.  He was a Henry and she was a Harriet Annie Grace!! Go figure!  It makes you appreciate the problem that family nicknames give you when you start to research!

Keep warm everyone x


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely day apart from the cold! Hope you are feeling warmer now! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good job they have done with the bunting.
    I know it's frustrating doing the family tree, seemed common to call them one name on the birth certificate ie John, then call them let's say Peter,
    Why not register them as Peter if that's a name they like?
    Makes researching a nightmare!
    I came across it a lot on my tree, seemed that nobody used there birth names!
    And yes it is freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brain freeze...sounds nasty and no ice cream in sight!
    Sounds like you need a day at home by the fire....with some hand sewing of course!

    ReplyDelete