Thursday 20 August 2015

Back to school

Today is GCSE Results day - a day when all over the country nervous teenagers are waking up and anxious to find out their results.  In my little corner of the country I am proud to say that nearly half of the students achieved the benchmark 5 A* - C (including Eng and Maths) - an increase on last year's results -  with 60% achieving grades A* - C in Catering and 100% A* - C in Hospitality (all grade B's) - this is one proud mama!  Since these are the last official "Birkbeck" results before it becomes an academy its nice to go out with a bang.  Forgive me if I copy a quote from our head girl that she posted on Facebook  "Birkbeck has given me the opportunity to achieve and for that I am so thankful. I would never have gotten the results I have if it wasn't for the amazing teachers at Birkbeck x"  I will leave the matter there!

So - onto today and it was time to complete a few jobs that had been lurking in the shadows.  First up was the telephone wire in the hall.  It lay beneath the carpet but was left across the new floor - so I sat for a while and tacked it to the skirting board to neaten things up.

Next up was the bathroom.  Don't get me wrong everything is clean and hygienic but it did need a little tidying up.  It will possibly be the next room to be decorated but that's not going to happen in the next month or so.  Instead a mop, a tidy, some clean towels and a quick swipe just refreshes the room.



Then it was time for that phone call.  One of the things that many people have urged me to do in retirement is to stimulate your mind and use your time wisely - creating a routine.  So I have decided to do a "Creative Textiles" course in Cleethorpes.  Its only a ten week course in the autumn term but it will give me a sense of where I am creatively and see what the college has to offer.  In terms of a routine that will mean that I have commitments on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday - ahem - when did I find time to work?







After lunch it was time to start thinking about tonight's visitors - the WI.  We are starting a "Crafty Fingers" group up - meeting every other month.  I have no idea how many people are coming but I am beginning to panic!  So to calm my nerves I made some cherry and almond cakes, tidied the conservatory, put some signs up in the kitchen  and cleaned some garden chairs for extra seating.  Fingers crossed it goes well - we are trying out some red work.  I will report back tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. Mmm those cakes look good!
    Sooo pleased all the hard work at Birbeck paid off :)
    Hope all goes well tonight!
    A course aye....never too old to go back to college, what an example you are to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic results!! Well done to everyone concerned, you must especially pleased with your own students results.
    Hope everything goes well for tonight and a good number turn up. Tomorrow you can start to relax a bit. Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I am - but tinged with the newspaper article that gave credit for the improved results to the academy - who have never taught these students - go figure!

      Delete
  3. Good luck for tonight,
    Can't get better than an evening of red work .
    X

    ReplyDelete