Tuesday 18 August 2015

C-day (No 2)

So - why two C-days you ask?  Well today is not only the day scheduled for the hall floor but also to pick up my new car- more of that later.

The floor fitter told me that he had a hospital appointment first thing so would be here by 10:30 at the earliest.  That meant that I could have a lie in - at the moment I am falling asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow - which is most unusual for me!  What I didn't bargain for was the terrible weather today - Millie has managed to leave her pawprints on the work!!

Whilst the floor was being laid I was banished to the conservatory which has become a dumping ground for most things that were in the lounge / hall, so it was good to spend some time sorting the room out and giving it a clean - who would have thought there could be so much dust after such a short time - and the flies! A conservatory is a veritable fly cemetery - they seem to fly in, get trapped flying against the roof to get out and then die!  Time for my hand held dyson me thinks!

Then it was time to give the old car a once over - again the handheld Hoover came in useful with all that debris from the garden refuse runs.  The car isn't perfect - they will give it a good clean anyway - but at least it's respectable.  Talking about the refuse runs - how lucky was I that it was good weather over the weekend - it's pouring with rain here now and not forecast to stop all day!

So - by mid afternoon it was off to Hyundai to collect the car - why cant everything be in the same place so that you can easily switch between models?  That being so I am pleased that this model has automatic lights so I don't need to worry about finding them in the dark although I will need to check for full beam.  It also has Bluetooth and I am proud to report that I managed to make and receive a phone call whilst on the move - all legal and safe of course via voice activation.  At the moment its at the "strange stage" - even the petrol is on the opposite side to the previous car - this is all going to take time to get used to!

My brother and sister in law had suggested that we meet up for a coffee and catch up so Janet and I decided that a fabric shop would be best!  After that it was home to play house and start to dress the hallway.  I am not sure about the carpet runner yet but it will protect the floor and hopefully uncurl just a little.  As you can see the hall unit has been painted and this glass dish is murano glass from Venice - with murano glass sweets - all genuine I should point out!  I particularly like the dog biscuit jar - dreadfully twee!  The light, on the other hand seems to need a strange light fitting which I will investigate with B & Q.  By the way I do have the clips to sort the telephone wire - panic not!  The plan is also to paint the stairs - not sure that the pine goes with the oak.



 Finally I thought that you might like to see the curtains closed in the lounge - mmmm


3 comments:

  1. Ooo err to the muddy footprints! Was that on the new carpet?
    Really love the Murano glass dish..seems a shame to cover the pretty tree though...maybe a clear dish is needed to put the sweets in so their individual beauty can be appreciated and then leave the glass dish empty? Kind of defeats the object of having a dish and then leaving it empty I know!
    Lovely new car :) gadgets as well :) :)
    As for flies in the conservatory...and spiders webs...tell me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean re the dish - it was my friends who persuaded me to buy the sweets. However I can always find a spot for a second dish! No the footprints were on the screed before the flooring went down so I got away with that one! It amuses me to think that Millie might have been immortalised. As for gadgets in the car I'm still at that confused stage - but will get there hopefully!

      Delete
  2. You made it then, you've had very busy time since you have been back from holiday!!! I also love the glass dish, shame to cover it up. I think the runner is a lovely colour and it will certainly protect the new floor. Slightly concerned it may be a bit slippy?! Well done you've done well bringing it altogether. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete