Wednesday 19 August 2015

Mother knows best (well sometimes - we wouldn't want it going to her head now would we!!)

So - after stating yesterday to my brother that I did have a routine and usually woke up by 7:30 - it was a shocking 8:15 when my eyes opened this morning.  See - I told you that I was tired at the moment!  Since today sees the visit of the stitching group the aim must be to start the great tidy up.  After all there's no point walking through a lovely hall and kitchen to a messy conservatory now is there - one with paint pots etc all over.  So - how did I start the big clear up?  Well I went shopping!  I could try to convince you that the trip was a necessary evil but, truthfully, I just wanted to drive the car a bit more and get used to it.  I had also forgotten to take the spare key for my old car and promised to take it in so that was as good a reason as any other.  Did I tell you that they gave me a lovely bunch of flowers yesterday?  They certainly brighten up the kitchen.








Whilst I was out I popped into Dunelm (do I have shares?  I ought to at the moment)  The rug in the lounge is lovely but it does move around a lot and mum had recommended this non slip mat to place underneath it.  Having laid it I can report that she was right (I can hear her saying "of course" even as I write this!!)






When I got home and unpacked the shopping I decided to introduce Katie to the new car.  Being 14 years old I am worried that the boot is higher than before and don't want her to hurt herself jumping in so I bought her a ramp.  She refused.  I tried dog treats.  She refused.  I put the lead onto her and forced her to walk up it and gave her a treat.  She ate the treat, jumped out of the car and ran away!  This quiet placid dog was having none of it!  This is going to be a long road!

By now I really couldn't put the tidying off any further - it was lovely to see the conservatory emerge and I even swept some garden refuse up from the front that had fallen out when I was loading the car over the weekend.  I also cleaned the fire surround which had become tarnished with some barkeepers friend.

After


Before

























The rooms aren't finished and the sewing room / bedroom / bathroom need some sorting out but the house is finally becoming one to be proud of and not fear the unexpected visitor.  In fact, and at the risk of becoming a bit mushy, I was thinking today as I drove into Grimsby about how much richer and fuller my life is now I've retired.  New friends have come into my life and I have had more time for old friends.  I pray that this feeling continues.


Welcome back



7 comments:

  1. Am a bit worried about you "pooping" in Dunelm Mills!
    I didn't know that Barkeepers friend was available in the UK! My friend in the US swears by it for her saucepans.
    I am sure your new rich life will continue to be richer. I am also sure that your years of teaching also provided a richness and fullness to your life, but sometimes we have to move on. You have discovered moving on can be just as rewarding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for acknowledging that I sometimes have a positive influence on your life! Recently on a few occasions I have felt very 'invisible'!! Not with anyone in particular - just generally.

    The house is looking really lovely, I cannot believe the difference in the fireplace - it must be a miracle product. Well worth doing.
    Hope you have a lovely evening and that you get Katie sorted. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bless xx

      yes - it came up really easily - I will have another go with a nail brush to se if I can get rid of some of the stubborn stains at the bottom.

      Delete