Saturday 1 August 2015

Normal service is resumed.

So - after a lovely night out last night with the book club I have given myself a good talking to.  I think that I need to start appreciating what has been completed over the past 60 days.  Its getting stuck into a project that I like and waiting for the decorator feels as if I'm stalling.  What I have forgotten is how much preparation I have to do before they come.







Two days after they leave the lounge and the hall are having new floorings so the carpets in both areas have to be taken up and disposed of.  I mentioned this to a friend who asked if she could have the lounge carpet for her son.  I would much rather things go to use so this morning was spent emptying the room (I underestimated how long that would take) and starting to pull the carpet up before the family arrived after lunch and took it away.  There is still the underlay but that's much easier and lighter to move.  I am planning to salvage a little of the hall carpet to go under the dogs' bed but the rest is not a massive piece.



Then it was onto the apron that I might have mentioned before.  If you recall the pattern needed to be enlarged and I fudged it on an old sheet.  Today I sat down with greaseproof paper and drafted a pattern using an existing top of mine.  I will use the said sheet to sew a mock up tomorrow and see how far I am away from a working pattern.  I have ordered two books for my birthday - one of which is felt brooches - just to decorate the apron!!




After walking the dogs it was then on to start tackling a bush near my coal bunker.  several years ago a gardener came in and redesigned the garden - planting a laurel bush near the bunker to "hide" it - BAD MOVE!!  Not only has the laurel bush got out of hand but it is in front of an elder tree that is turning into a monster.  They must both GO!!!!  So I spent half an hour struggling with choppers etc and achieved this much.  It then took me another half an hour to chop the pieces up small enough to go in the green bin!!Tomorrow will see the saw coming out - until I remove some of the outer bush I cannot get to the elder tree and my garden needs to become a project at some point - it is somewhat lacking in tender care!  Perhaps the redesign can be a winter project!





So - apart from some general housework (anyone in need of a light bulb or three??  At least the utility room now has room for them!!) , setting my retirement budget for August and organising some ecards for August,  that just about sums up my day so far.  More hand sewing lies ahead of me this evening for two Christmas presents (I really must take photos and have a "show and tell" on boxing day once the presents have been delivered!).  However at least I am beginning to feel more like my old self again!

I also came across this on Facebook - think I need this as my welcome sign in the hall!!







4 comments:

  1. Oh well done, on the lounge. I expect your lounge feels really strange. Still it will have a chance to have a good airing! Oh it is so exciting all this new work going on!!! Love the sign, definitely have it in your hall way. Have you given any thought as to what you are doing with your coat rack, it will be a shame to spoil the view. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no where else to really put it - unless I clear out the hall cupboard and use that I suppose

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are more like your old self today. Wow what a lot you achieved too!
    Will be lovely when you can relax in your new living room, eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you more positive today.
    How on earth are you enlarging the apron pattern?
    To big for the printer.
    Will look forward to seeing the prototype.

    ReplyDelete