Wednesday 15 February 2017

Determination personified

For some reason I woke up early, after a lovely night's sleep, but feeling achey all over - I really hope that that dreaded cold isn't coming back!  Instead I used the enforced "sit down" time to finish row 3 of the SS quilt and quilt the blocks ready to complete row 4.  I have used a combination of FMQ and walking foot - however one block has turned out REALLY disappointing - to the extent that I think I will just have to bite the bullet and do it again - from scratch!

By mid morning the aches had started to fade into the distance - probably due to the pain killers that I had taken - and, with the sun shining brightly, I braved the garden to do some weeding.  The arrangements in this area is to pay a fee every year for the collection and disposal of garden waste every fortnight (worth it for the petrol saved, let alone the mess in the car and the time it takes) and the bin is due to go out tonight.  It will be nice to put a full, or at least partially full, bin out!

I should also report that the dishwasher worked well.  The first wash left a residue but I suspect that this was due to me overfilling the dishwasher salt container.  When I put it on a second time everything came up well - and within the short time promised.  I can't guarantee 30 mins - when it finishes the machine bleeps - but far too quiet for me to hear it from the lounge!  However the cycle was certainly less than an hour which is a huge improvement.  Mind you I also forgot to say yesterday that, when they removed the old dishwasher, the men found a dead mouse - one of my friends from last autumn I hope!


The rest of the day was filled with mundane tasks - bed changing, dog walking up at the beach in this lovely weather (hopefully the vet will give Daisy the all clear tomorrow to have "off the lead " walks) and sorting out the stuff to go back under the sink ( the chaps said yesterday that you would not believe how many people don't bother emptying the cupboard under the sink and they spend 5 - 10 mins taking everything out before they start!).  However I did manage to sew the sashing onto row 4 and so will spend time tonight over-sewing the back.  I want to do 10 rows and so one more will mean half way! 

So - why the blog title?  Well, last October I planted up 3 tete a tete bulbs for WI birthday gifts and I always do a couple of spares that will go on the raffle table if not needed.  Long story short, I won one and put it in the conservatory - promptly forgetting all about it.  For the past four months or so, these bulbs have not been watered and have never been unwrapped - yet one bulb has thrust its way up through all the barriers and is about to bloom.  Isn't that just beautiful and inspirational?  Of course I then had to unwrap it and water it - the other two bulbs had still given their all - one even flowering whilst cooped up in the packaging!


1 comment:

  1. Bulbs are amazing aren't they! Mine probably fare better without me interfering/overwatering etc! I found a lovely hyacinth in the back of the shed a couple of years ago and have no idea how long it had been there!

    ReplyDelete