Thursday 15 March 2018

In an experimental mood

Well, after the excitement of yesterday - and the momentous achievement last night of a one handed press up - I know - get me!!! - I felt in an experimental mood.  You cannot have missed that I am obsessed, at the moment, with making "retreat bags".  However they need a frame which only comes in two sizes and I had seen others making their own frames and, therefore, making smaller ones.  I had no idea of what size to cut my fabric or how to make the frames - but its a challenge - right?




I sat down with the dimensions of the two sizes of bag and frame and tried to work out the ratio (there wasn't a consistent one!) and then used these aluminium welding rods to make the frames (don't get me wrong - I have bought zillions of the original frames and am not looking to cheat anyone out of profit -I just want a smaller size) and bound the ends with electrical tape to ensure that the frames didn't poke through the fabric.


The sewing went well, the frames fitted - but the zip is a little bit difficult to do up - due, I feel, to the frames needing to be 1/2" longer.  So, there will be a second version to test this theory!   However it did work better than I hoped and forms a small, but wide opening rubbish bin.  In fact I might even make one without the zip for that exact purpose! I have pictured today's effort in front of the other two sizes so that you can see how dinky it is!  Now, dare I go smaller still?



Otherwise, today has seen the start of this year's swimming session.  The pool opened last Friday (and stays open until November) but today has been the first day that I have been free to go.  I won't lie - I am sure that I will be stiff tomorrow, but it's good to be back - I do love the swimming - its just the cold when you get out that I don't like.  However, I managed 126 widths (equivalent to 1 1/2 km) so it wasn't too bad.  Truthfully I had set myself a target of 50 widths for my first time - but the pool was relatively empty and I can't go again for around 4 weeks so thought that I would push myself.  Just as well - tonight it's the WI fashion Show and I shall be sat down all evening selling raffle tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment