Tuesday 6 October 2015

Lost 70 pounds, gained a marriage proposal - what a day!

Sometimes its difficult to think of a title for a blog, sometimes they just write themselves .........

Today started well, if slowly.  I had slept, almost uninterrupted, for 9 hours.  We are not there yet and I am finding these heat packs useful, but things are definitely on the mend.  Its amazing how much better you feel with a good nights sleep!











So, first on the agenda, was TAST (Try a stitch Tuesday).  As you recall, every Tuesday we are encouraged to practise a different embroidery stitch and today it was satin stitch.  To further complicate matters I had decided that the stitches would eventually lead to a piece that could be displayed on the wall - so today I added this "stained glass window effect" chain to the project. I used stem stitch for the black outline, which is slightly cheating since it's next week's stitch but I will do something different then



.

Next up was my "homework" for my Creative Textiles course tomorrow.  I needed to get my sketchbook sorted and mount all of those squares that I have talked about.  I had obsessed about getting the sketch book neat and tidy (which seems to go against the grain for artists) but I was also running out of time so just had to get it sorted and labelled - it hasn't turned out too bad.



Whilst I was sorting and mounting the work, I realised that two squares still had to be painted.  I had the paint - the tutor had recommended that we buy this small pack from Artvango - but no paint brush.  I was also running out of the heat pads and needed diesel for a "Girls adventure" on Friday - cue a trip to Grimsby (where I also treated the car to a handwash - how I love those washes!)  Whilst out and about (yes mother we are coming to the point of the title) I popped into an Oak furniture shop that is by the side of the A16 and which I pass on a regular basis but never pop into.  I was on the look out for a small side table to go next to the sofa in the lounge.  The one I fell in love with was £189 but there was a shop soiled one at £129 - there was a small dent towards the back.  Now I am a believer that "perfect" things soon get spoiled and if there's a £60 saving to be made then I am not being precious.  I happened to mention that there was a slightly different colour to the wood in the drawer front - at which point he knocked another £10 off .  The marriage proposal came later during some banter about hindsight making you much more intelligent - he clearly had the gift of the gab!  Sadly the table is a little high for the job but a rearrangement of the lounge will find a home for it.













The dogs have been walked (yes they almost didn't recognise a lead lol), the car has been packed with materials required for my sewing class tonight and tea is on cooking (lamb shank with veg - I am very proud that during this painful time I have not gorged out on food and cited self pity - I am hoping for kind scales this week!)  All that is left to do now is to start tidying the house ready for the sewing group tomorrow night - it's all go!

By the way - I noticed yesterday that this little old blog has just passed its 7000 views milestones - I wonder if we can get 10000 views by Christmas!!  Thank you to everyone all over the world - literally - who has taken the time to read my ramblings!









6 comments:

  1. Well now this blog is getting more interesting, marriage proposals!
    What was he like?
    Glad you slept well, wish I could!
    Homework book looks very arty, can't wait to see where it's going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound as if you have worked really hard well done,I have prepped next weeks Monday craft class and printed all 50 sheets so I can put that away till monday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stitches and lovely table.
    Do let me know in good time if I need to buy a new hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever move putting marriage proposal in your title - must of gained a few more readers!

    ReplyDelete