Friday 16 October 2015

My Magical Mystery Tour

Firstly let me start with last night.  You may recall that I popped first to Slimming World - where I lost an amazing 4 1/2 pounds (now 25% towards target but don't know how that happened) - and then onto watch Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet- quite, quite excellent!  The descent into madness was both uncomfortable and enjoyable to watch!

So - onto today's escapades.  About 90 minutes away we have a retail outlet centre - Springfields in Spalding - and dad likes to get some trousers from there.  I had volunteered to go down and get some for him and had allocated today to be a free day when I could "nip" down there.  Nothing too remarkable and newsworthy about that - until Sewingbuddy came up with a new fabric shop - Bee Crafty near Huntingdon.  When we looked at the map it was only 50 minutes away from Spalding so would be a shame not to suss it out.  Not only that but their workshops & tutors reads like a "who's who" of patchwork.  Although the total journey was 100 miles each way, I figured that I do the same distance to Meadowhall when I meet up with friends to go to the pictures on a Friday night - the only difference is that the journey to Sheffield is 50% motorway so makes it a bit quicker.  Sadly Sewingbuddy couldn't make it so I set off as the lone vanguard to explore.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I have never been to such a friendly place.  The shop is on an industrial estate so parking is not a problem.  When I walked in there was workshop about to start (Free Form Wall Hanging led by Sarah Payne who is often on Create and Craft- I could have just sat down and listened to her advice all day) and lots of people were getting ready and chatting.  As I started to look at the merchandise I was approached by a shop assistant and offered a cup of coffee - just because (she did the same thing to another customer who came in later).  I then noticed the nice touches like the pair of armchairs near the bookshelf so that you can look through before buying or search for a particular pattern.  There was clearly no hurry - just take your time and peruse.  Don't get me wrong - its not the biggest shop that I have been into but they could not have been more helpful.  So much so that I have signed up to a workshop a week on Monday ( Lilliput Lane Wonkey Houses Wall Hanging) and would urge Sewingbuddy to take her pick ( I suggest the two Tilly Rose workshops!).

Upside down but you get the idea
So -what did I buy?  Well I thought that I was quite restrained and bought for projects.  I bought a single sheet to transfer an image onto fabric for my West Ashby blocks , some lovely hand dyed perle 8 thread for my embroidery, and some Lynette Anderson fabric for this Gail Pan pattern.  This pattern is for a row by row wall hanging and, on the way home, I thought that it might be fun to cut the pieces out for each row and then wrap them up as advent presents.  By December the sewing classes are finishing and the presents should be completed so I should have more time. (Lots of should there but if it doesn't work out then everything is still cut to size).  There is also a loyalty card - ouch!



On the way home I stopped off at Springfields, as planned, but didn't get the trousers for Dad - for a variety of reasons.  Instead I succumbed to these Christmas decorations - do we see a theme here?  I don't normally do too much for Christmas since I'm at work all day but this year ..............  I also came across these test tubes in the works.  I had seen, on pinterest, a group of three test tubes - one filled with drinking chocolate, one with mini marshallows and one with mini shortbread - all neatly tied together with a Christmas ribbon and label - kerching!  I have some colleagues to get presents for but not necessarily make for - ideal! 












Just a few miles away from Springfields, and on the way home, there is a farm shop which sells lots of bits and bobs (these cream buckets were £1 each and useful for all sorts of presents).  More importantly to me they sell all sorts of loose frozen items and their fruit salad is gorgeous - so much so that whenever I pass I just have to fill up a bag (well they did say that we could be in for a harsh winter!!)



So - its been a mad and very enjoyable day.  One with an unhealthy lunch but which has ended with a dog walk, exhaustion and some healthy soup in front of the fire - the perfect end to a quite perfect day!


my (ahem) very unhealthy lunch!










6 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you had a ball, shop sounds fantastic,
    Yes I must go, will look at the dates for Tilly rose.
    What were thexfrench kits like?
    So pleased you lost last night, maybe the encouragement you need to keep you on track.
    Shame you never got your dads trousers!
    But if it wasn't for the trousers you wouldn't have gone to bee crafty.
    So was meant to be.
    I expec your exhausted now, so let's hope you have a good nights sleep,
    I hope my day goes as well tomorrow?
    Will report on my return x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French kits were beautiful - I was particularly taken with a bag kit. But the pattern was already transferred onto the fabric and I wasn't sure if I would be able to replicate the bag - making the kit feel cheaper. In terms of motivation - yes the loss has spurred me on although there are far too many tempting days ahead of me this week! However, as I write this, the makings of a slimming world breakfast loaf are being cooked - slimming world sausages, bacon, onions, potato, mushrooms and eggs - baked and then reheated with baked beans for breakfast / lunch - its a handy dish to have in. If I have time I will make a slimming world cake for sunday as well. As for sleeping - I slept through the first 15 minutes of the radio coming on this morning - goodness knows what will happen tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo that sounds like a near perfect day to me! Loving the test tube idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't worry about what happens tomorrow, you worry about Sunday!
    Maybe I better give you an alarm call to make sure your awake!
    Maybe get a refund on the mattress, think of all the fabric you could buy with the money?
    Anyway s world cake sounds good, look forward to it, only if you have time though, as we can always slum it with a bit of Evs special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had such an enjoyable day Lynda and hope you have a lovely weekend! Christine x

    ReplyDelete