Wednesday 4 October 2017

Ooh mother - I am a bit posh!

I was listening to Simon Mayo on Radio 2 last night and they were discussing staircases.  Apparently most people have 13 steps in their staircase and he wondered why.  He then spoke to an historical architect who explained that the phenomena was down to the standardisation of modern houses and the heights of the rooms.  Apparently to have more than 13 steps is a sign that your ceiling is higher than the norm and therefore a sign of grandeur.  Well, of course, like most of you reading this, I ten went out and counted the steps - and I have 14!!  Woop woop - I am posh!



Anyway - onto today.  It was scheduled to be a fact finding day with Mum and Dad.  First up was a stop at a newly opened tea shop in Caistor.  We had spotted it several times and planned to stop there today.  I am glad that we did.  It turned out to be a charitable venture supporting adults with learning difficulties and boasted a tea room -along with a gift shop, sweet emporium and outdoor garden furniture - all gifts and furniture being made by said adults.  We decided to switch things around and have an early lunch of bacon / sandwich buttie with our coffee - mmm very nice and very reasonably riced as well!





Then we moved onto the gift shop (we did look at the sweet emporium but resisted the temptation).  Although I bought a few gifts that I cannot show here, I did buy myself a "bag" which consist of a series of pockets and which could be press studded together.  I will need to do a little unpicking and resew in order to fit the rulers that I want this bag for - but for £5.99 I thought that it was worth paying whilst supporting the venture.




Next up on our tour was a wood yard in Brigg where Mum and Dad bought a log store, some logs (they are having their log burner fitted within the next month or so) and some paving slabs to extend the patio ready for the "lodge" to be delivered and erected.  I stayed in the car at this point and sorted Mum's new phone (my old one).  Of course this has meant that both in the teashop and at home, Mum couldn't stop playing learning how the phone worked.




On the way home, we stopped off at Brigg Garden centre - why wouldn't you? -to look at garden planters.  We didn't buy anything but a couple more presents may just have landed in my basket.  I also treated myself to a new jigsaw in the "I love" range - this time "I love Christmas" - well, its only a few weeks away now!  We did, however, stop for a coffee and a cake - now which one do you think that I chose from this selection?




All in all, a lovely day - with The Apprentice starting tonight to look forward to!!

Now, admit it, how many of you have been and counted the steps in their stairs?  Mum has - she has 13!  Bless x

1 comment: