Monday 23 October 2017

You are never too old to learn a new skill



So, back to my BFF- I think that I have mastered the basics of the embroidery machine, have downloaded a few designs and have created a couple of my own.  The next step in this learning journey is to tackle embroidering "in the hoop".  Wendy alerted me to a "sew a-long" on Facebook to create a Christmas table centre - it even had a video on you tube to help you.  So that is how this morning started - trying to master the technique.  My first attempt was going well until I nudged the table - and the yellow strip landed in the wrong position.




The second attempt went much better and will probably be used - but I needed to trim the green bauble closer than I did.  I need to make 6 diamonds - the technique "quilts as you go" - and then sew them together to form the star.  At this stage I am wondering whether my starter kit of threads will mean that I run out before I complete all 6!

Other than taking the opportunity of no Textile Group (it's half term) to sort the house out, it was a sewing morning - well, apart from one glorious moment where I managed to book my tickets for Strictly Live 2018!  Trisha and I usually go to Sheffield but, for some reason, they are not going there this year.  So, instead, we are going to travel to Nottingham for an afternoon performance - can't wait!



Of curse, this afternoon was Slimming World.  For some strange reason I have had a bad week this week - I did wonder if the mouth ulcer was a sign of being run down.  I certainly felt a little blah!  Consequently I have therefore put some weight on (2 1/2lbs) - which makes my target seem ever so far away!  However, this is a marathon, not a sprint, so I will keep on going!  Mind you - it would have been easy to give the meeting a miss - the roadworks have started which means around a 20 mins additional travel time.  Therefore when one of Jean's neighbours mentioned a "secret" road through we thought we would give it a go.  There were signs saying that it was a private road, and it was more like a track than a road - but no one stopped us (although I did feel extremely guilty!) and we managed to get through - although Jean did have to open and close the gate!!  Whether I will feel as brave tomorrow when I pop up to Mum and Dad's on my own remains to be seen!  Jean's husband - warning her not to get herself shot - did not inspire confidence!

2 comments:

  1. Oh shame, you were doing so well....but you still have to keep well, so maybe you needed a down week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't fret - I will bounce back!

    ReplyDelete