Tuesday 30 January 2018

Paying it forward - again.

Last night I started February's bookclub book - "Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine".  I must admit that I started with some trepidation - others had started but said that  they had found it hard going.  I loved it!! So much so that I finished it in the early hours of the morning - I haven't done that for ages - maybe never!

It's just as well that today was going to be a gentle day then! Actually I spent two hours down at the church hall emptying and cleaning out cupboards in the kitchen - you wouldn't believe how many half and out of date packets of biscuits I threw away!


Back home, and after a lovely walk up at the very sunny beach (note to self - order those prescription sunglasses for your holiday!) plus some lunch made of left over boiled eggs (what else after yesterday) wrapped up with some syn free vegetarian sausages and topped with bacon - it's a culinary delight! - I then sat down to tackle something that I had promised myself for many months.  This was long overdue - I started planning my own quilt - yikes!  You know that things are getting serious when you crack open the protractor and posh rubber!  The actual quilt may never see the light of day but I will enjoy the challenge!  It even includes three way points- I know, I know - you're impressed aren't you?

Not wanting to waste the dry sunny day, I then ventured out into the garden to continue with the ivy cutting started last year.  Tomorrow is the only green refuse collection in January so I might as well take advantage of a full bin.

The final task of the day is to start the casseroles I mentioned yesterday - the slow cooked pork one for tomorrow night, and the liver and bacon casserole for tonight - dreams are made of this - right?

So, you're thinking, why the blog title.  To whom have I been kind to today.  Well, no-one actually - more of an idea.  You may recall the young lad in our SW group who has now lost over 12 stone in the year but suffered from a brain tumour that led to him being laid up in bed for the preceding year?  Well he divulged yesterday that he has to go into hospital in March to remove a tumour in his appendix. I clearly can't do anything medical but I was wracking my brains as to how I could help in any other way.  Clearly dieting is not his priority at the moment but I wanted him to know that his SW family was behind him.  Cue the lightbulb moment.  After checking it out with the SW consultant, I am going to make him a wash bag (well, I think that I have mastered those by now) but make the outside in a light cream fabric.  I will then take some fabric pens to class on Monday and others can sign the bag with their best wishes - maybe even fill the bag with sw goodies.  I would find it reassuring to know that I wasn't on my own and hope that he feels the same as well.  I guess that's my weekend sorted then?

1 comment:

  1. Great idea..and if you are ahead of schedule you could hand sew over the signatures.....knowing how much you love hand sewing!

    ReplyDelete