Saturday 5 December 2015

"Oh what a night"

 
For some time now my friends and I have been threatening to go to The Sewing Centre at Scarborough.  It's just over two hours each way so it's a feasible trip and the fabric there is good quality but reasonably priced.  However you would have to have some form of project in mind to make the journey worthwhile - no point going all that way for a couple of fat quarters!  Hence today was another early start.





 First up was the morning ritual of advent presents.  Phil and Chris gave me this cute Santa whilst Wendy gave me this cute tiny bottle of ribbon. Then it was time for breakfast ( and listening to the howling wind outside - not sure why we picked early December for the road trip and crossing of the Humber bridge!) - I took the opportunity to try out Blogger on my iPad.  As you may be aware I struggled to write posts, with photos, on my iPad so, if today's blog works then it will revolutionise my life whenever I am away.

The trip to Scarborough went without incident ( if you discount getting lost and going through the centre of Beverley) and we arrived at 10:29.  I only mention the time because it took 4 women 90 minutes to try and clear the fabric shop.  We had a ball - and bought enough fabric for many future projects - in fact Sewingbuddy has challenged everyone not to buy any fabric until the end of March - gulp!



Next stop was a pub for lunch.  We had noticed this pub on the way to Scarborough because of its lovely roundabout - the figures on the bottom of this menu are sculptures on the roundabout.  The food was home cooked and very tasty but the portions were large. In fact Ev took a doggybag home!



Several weeks ago at college I had noticed a flyer for a craft outlet at Hornsea, Freeport - since it was on the way home it seemed a shame not to make a small detour.  By now the tail ends of Storm Desmond were being felt and it was somewhat gusty so our visit was a short but pleasurable one.

The title of the blog?  Well that refers to our antics on the way home.  Over the years it has become a ritual that if I go over the Humber bridge then, on the way home, we have to roll the windows down and sing loudly.  The choice of song was "oh what a night" by Franki Valli and the four seasons but, having started with our windows down, it soon became clear that the strong winds would prove a problem. I was being buffeted by the window, crying with laughter and concerned about losing my glasses.  Some would say that the venture was irresponsible, others would say that it made for a memorable journey - you decide. 

By the way - we quickly wound our windows up before we got to the halfway spot - we're not that mad!



2 comments:

  1. Definitely a memorable journey I would say!! And now you have names of the storms to remember such journeys with!
    Cute Santa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memorable and mad, but oh what a night! And day.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you for driving.

    ReplyDelete